Rotary was founded in 1905 with a primary focus on Rotarian-to-Rotarian business networking and the fun and fellowship associated with a social organization. Throughout Rotary’s first century, the object expanded to feature service in the community, the workplace, and throughout the world.
Today, Rotary is an organization of business and professional persons united worldwide who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world.
The Rotary motto is Service Above Self.
Rotarians enjoy benefits that include:
• Networking with business professionals pledged to the highest ethical standards
• Fun and friendship with local leaders committed to a better world
• Weekly programs offering information about local needs and community affairs
• Worldwide fellowship of 1.2 million Rotarians in more than 33,000 clubs meeting in over 200 countries and geographical regions
• Global reach to truly make a difference almost anywhere in the world
Rotarians have been instrumental in stamping out polio throughout the world. Rotary members are actively engaged in community projects such as the Belleair Elementary School, the Salvation Army, UPARC, Religious Community Service, Abilities, Doorways Scholarships, Literacy Projects and Mentoring, Toymakers of East Lake, Students for Tomorrow’s Leaders (S4TL)and La Clinica Guadalupana.